The following requirements must be met before you can use the eID function:
- The eID function of your ID card or electronic residence permit must be activated. With the eID card, this is activated automatically.
- You must know your self-selected, six-digit PIN or have your transport PIN at hand. You must change the transport PIN to a self-selected, six-digit PIN before using the eID function for the first time.
- AusweisApp2 must be installed.
- An NFC-enabled smartphone or USB card reader must be at hand.
Detailed information on these requirements can be found here.
If a website can be navigated easily via smartphone and no lengthy applications or forms need to be filled out, it is convenient to use the eID function directly on your smartphone. You can read out your ID card directly via the integrated NFC chip. All you need to do is install AusweisApp2 on your smartphone.
You can use AusweisApp2 on your laptop and connect a smartphone as a card reader to read out your ID card. This alternative is useful if a website has not been optimized for mobile use or if it is more convenient to complete your task on a larger screen.
To use your smartphone as a card reader with a laptop, install AusweisApp2 on both your laptop and your smartphone. Then set up your smartphone as a card reader. You can find out how to do this here.
Notes on tablets
Of course, you can also use AusweisApp2 on your tablet. A few tablets are equipped with an NFC chip and can be used directly for reading the ID card. With most tablets, however, you have to use your smartphone as a card reader. We explain how this works here.
- Remove the case from your smartphone, because it may interfere with the NFC connection.
- Charge the battery sufficiently or connect the charging cable
- Try putting the ID card in different places to locate the position of the NFC interface
- If there are any problems, restart the app or the smartphone
For step-by-step instructions on how to use the eID function on Android and iOS devices, check out our videotutorials:
If the test of smartphone and ID card was successful, you can use the feature "See my personal data" to perform a test authentication. With this function, the data stored on your ID card, electronic residence permit or eID card is read out and displayed. You can thus perform a self-authentication.
The app manufacturer, Governikus GmbH & Co. KG, offers this service and therefore appears as the provider with whom you want to identify yourself. After entering your PIN and a successful data transfer, your personal data will be displayed in AusweisApp2. This is purely a demonstration service, i.e. the data read out is only displayed and neither stored nor passed on.